Peter Shankman, Help A Reporter Out
Peter Shankman is a well-known American entrepreneur and author. He was creator of Help A Reporter Out, and author of several business books. He got his start in technology with an Atari 2600 and an Apple ][.
A video version of this interview is available on Youtube, you’ll find the link in the show notes at AtariPodcast.com.
This interview took place on March 20, 2017.
Teaser quote: “What would you change, if you could go back and talk to your 10-year-old self? I wouldn’t change a thing. Because the hell that I went through there has led to, pretty much, the majority of the success I’ve had today, and I’m very very lucky with that. I can trace that back to the Atari, to the 2600, to those games…”
Source:: ANTIC Interview 275 – Peter Shankman
Nadav Caine, Mathematic-Tac-Toe
Nadav Caine published one program for the Atari computer: Mathematic-Tac-Toe. This educational program first appeared in the winter 1982-1983 APX catalog.
This interview took place on March 17, 2017.
“Look, my game’s lousy. I’m embarrassed even to have a conversation about it.”
“All education is self-education. I don’t think teachers put knowledge in your head.”
Source:: Nadav Caine, Mathematic-Tac-Toe
Bob Woolley, Atari 1200XL hardware hacker
Bob Woolley has been upgrading and modifying Atari 8-bit computers — primarily the 1200XL — since it was released. His hardware products include video output improvements, keyboard repairs, built-in CompactFlash cards, a dual-ANTIC computer, and a parallel bus interface for the 1200XL. Bob was editor of Atari Classics magazine from approximately 1994-1997. He is still active in the San Leandro Computer Club and on the AtariAge forums.
This interview took place on March 14, 2017.
“I actually use the Atari as my computer. I couldn’t write any code on one of my PCs. Whereas if I’m going to write code, I do it on the Atari.”
Joe Grande, Monkey Up A Tree
Joe Grande published one program for the Atari computers: Monkey Up A Tree was published by Atari Program Exchange, and first appeared in the winter 1982-1983 APX catalog.
This interview took place on March 14, 2017.
David Lubar, Game Developer (PastFinder)
Welcome to another interview episode of Antic the Atari 8-bit computer podcast.
David Lubar was a prolific games software developer who worked for Sirius Software, Activision and Absolute and freelanced for several other companies, including Broderbund, Origin Systems, and Imagineering. He developed games for many different systems, including game consoles like the Atari 2600 and the NES and computer systems such as the Apple II, C64, and the Atari 400/800.
His titles for the Atari 8-bits include Hacker, Master of the Lamps, Ogre, Pastfinder and Ultima IV.
David has since taken up writing and has several books to his name.
This interview took place April 23, 2016.
- “Character, Driven: A Novel” by David Lubar – http://www.amazon.com/dp/0765376946/?tag=ataripodcast-20
In this episode of Antic the Atari 8-bit podcast: Bill Kendrick returns with a segment on the Lantronix and BBSing on your Atari, we cover lots of new hardware upgrades, Nir Dary talks about the RAM-Cart 1M, and we have our usual segments on what’s new at Archive.org and what’s happening in the Atari 8-bit world.
What we’ve been up to
- Eight Bit Magazine – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/8bitmagazine/8-bit-magazine-issue-2-amstrad-commodore-sinclair , https://www.facebook.com/eightbitmagazine/ , http://www.eightbitmagazine.com/
- Atari 800XE – http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-800xe-/162383912577 , http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=982&st=1
- Atari XEP80 Interface Module – http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-is-the-atari-xep80-interface-module_39.html
- Getaway! source code – Mark Reid Disks, Mark Reid — Getaway! archives and development documents, http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261009-mark-reids-getaway-design-documents-and-apx-correspondence/
- Kaverns of Kfest http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261831-kaverns-of-kfest-game/ https://github.com/a…avernsA81.1.asm
- Peter Dell interview link – http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-27-the-atari-8-bit-podcast-peter-dell-wudsn
- Joystick breakout – http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Joystick-Breadboard-Breakout-for-C64-VIC20-Atari-2600-VCS-Development/332087625644
- Super Color CPU Card. 59 Euros + shipping – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260646-new-hardware-atari-400800-super-color-cpu-card/
- Atari game watch – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/717828519/gameband-the-first-smartwatch-for-gamers?ref=project_share
- Sophia video upgrade board – Demo of the SOFIA the ATARI XL/XE/5200 RGB Video Upgrade board, http://atariage.com/forums/topic/258702-new-development-gtia-in-cpld/page-1?hl=%20sophia
- Multibowl – https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/video-game-mixtape-multibowl
- BASIC 10liners 2017 – http://gkanold.wixsite.com/homeputerium/basic-10liners-2017 http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261637-basic-10liners-2017/
- recent videos by Nir Dary:
- Art of Atari Capsule Edition — in January’s Loot Crate DX (blind box “Items for the Pop Culture Connoisseur”) $44.99/month – https://www.lootcrate.com/subscription-crates/lcdx
- Atari Age — The Emergence of Video Games in America http://amzn.to/2lXK3Oq
- XF551 Track Display/Front Panel Control Pre-order Offer from DropCheck – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261481-xf551-track-displayfront-panel-control-pre-order-offer/
- Atari 815 Disk Drive on Ebay – http://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRA-RARE-Atari-815-Dual-Disk-Drive-prototype-/172515706186 , Discussion http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261918-atari-815-for-sale-on-ebay/
- 1088XEL Alternative Mother-Board Project – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261147-1088xel-alternative-mother-board-project/
- SDrive pre-order – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/262323-sdrive-arm-market-reseachpreorder/
- Weird Al Pac Man song http://nerdist.com/weird-al-pac-man-box-set/
- Feb. 18, 2017 – “Atari Invasion”, Marsveen, Holland – http://atari-invasion.nl/ , Nir Dary was on-hand and posted pictures on the Antic Facebook page and a video – https://
- Other Upcoming Shows where you might see Atari computers
- VCF East – http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/vintage-computer-festival-east/, March 31-April 2, 2017, InfoAge Science Center, Wall, NJ
- Midwest Gaming Classic – Sheraton Milwaukee Brookfield Hotel – April 7-9 – https://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
- VCF Southeast – April 29 & 30, 2017, Roswell, GA – http://vcfse.org/
- Kansasfest July 18-23 https://www.kansasfest.org
- VCF West – August 5-6, 2017 – Computer History Museum, 1401 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, California – http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/vintage-computer-festival-west-xi/
- VCFMW – September?
- Omnitrend’s Universe Facebook group – https://www.facebook.com/groups/435419473491677/
New at Archive.org
- Hofacker Program Descriptions I – https://archive.org/details/HofackerSoftwareProgramDescriptions
- Current Notes https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Washington+Area+Atari+Computer+Enthusiasts%22
Bill’s Modern Segment
Lantronix, Ice-T & BBS’ing
- ANTIC Interview 235: Marlin Bates – http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-235-marlin-bates-r-time-8-replacement-cartridge
- Lantronix UDS-10 (discontinued, but includes info & manual) – https://www.lantronix.com/products/uds-10/
- Lantronix UDS-1110 – https://www.lantronix.com/products/uds1100-uds1100-poe/
- “Ice-T XE 2.76 released” thread at AtariAge (with an alpha of 2.80 posted later in the thread, in Oct. 2014) – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/217539-ice-t-xe-276-released/
- Atari 8-bit FAQ (go to section 10.1: “What noncommercial telecommunications programs are there?”) – http://www-ftp.lip6.fr/pub/doc/faqs/atari-8-bit/faq
- Telnet BBS Guide – http://telnetbbsguide.com/
- “Links” web browser – http://links.twibright.com/
- “ircII” IRC client – http://www.eterna.com.au/ircii/
- “Mutt” email client – http://www.mutt.org/
- “Screen” terminal multiplexer – https://www.gnu.org/software/screen/
Nir Dary Segment – RAM-Cart 1M
Source:: ANTIC Episode 40 – BBSing
Ed Kelly, Edladdin
Hello, welcome to a special interview-only episode of Antic, the Atari 8-bit podcast. My name is Randy Kindig. This interview is with Ed Kelly of Edladdin. Edladdin produces a fantastic family of controllers for the Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari Flashback, and classic 8-bit computers. I met Ed at VCF Southeast in 2016 and was so impressed by his controllers that I later bought one and am very happy with it. They are fully customizable and are very rugged. This is likely the last controller you’ll need. I sat down with Ed and we discussed how his company got started, what controllers they produce and what the future looks like.
This interview took place on December 4, 2016.
Mark Odendahl, Rush Hour
Mark Odendahl was the creator of Rush Hour, a Frogger-like game that appeared in the winter 1983 Atari Program Exchange catalog, the final APX catalog. He also wrote one program for A.N.A.L.O.G. Computing magazine: Number Editor appeared in the January 1989 issue.
This interview took place on January 24, 2017.
“So I sold one copy of the program, but not through Atari. I sold it directly to one guy in New Jersey.”
In this episode of Antic the Atari 8-bit podcast: Nir Dary talks about all the available memory upgrade options (You need more memory!), we discuss what we’ve been up to in the Atari world, give you all the Atari 8-bit news that’s fit to print, and tell you about our “of-the-month” finds.
What we’ve been up to
- Vintage Computer Party in Indy – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260834-indianapolis-area-vintage-computer-club/?hl=%2Bindy#entry3668612
- Ultimate 1MB – http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=67
- “Art of Atari” book by Tim Lapetino – http://amzn.to/2hrX54h
- “Atari Playground” by Fred D’Ignazio – http://www.amazon.com/dp/0810457709/?tag=ataripodcast-20
- “Atari DOS 2.5 – 1050 Disk Drive Owner’s Manual” – http://www.atarimania.com/documents/Atari%20DOS%202.5%20-%201050%20Disk%20Drive%20Owner’s%20Manual.pdf
- Kevin’s 2016 In Review – http://atariaction.tumblr.com/post/155282564737/2016-in-review
- Mark Reid — Getaway! archives and development documents
- Trinity and Seastalker: http://monsterfeet.com/grue/
- Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/savetz
- RECOIL 3.5.0 – View retro graphics formats: Atari, Amiga, Apple II, ZX81, more – http://www.techcentral.ie/recoil-3-5-0/
- Mac GraphicConverter
- Awesome new 3D printed case for the Atari Ultimate Cart
- Dropcheck 1200XL Cartridge port extension
- ATR8000 on eBay
- The 8-bit High Score Club Season 14 – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260911-high-score-club-season-14/
- Pro(c) Atari Magazine Issue #12 & Boxed Software – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260700-p-r-o-c-a-t-a-r-i-issue-12-available-now/#entry3670879
- Pro(c) Magazine Website – http://www.proc-atari.de/
- Fairlight game – http://atariteca.blogspot.com/2016/12/completan-port-de-fairlight-para.html
- Buy a piece of Atari stock! – http://scripophily.net/atcorfampion.html
- Joystick Breadboard Breakout – http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Joystick-Breadboard-Breakout-for-C64-VIC20-Atari-2600-VCS-Development/332087625644
- Vintage is the New Old – http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/
- Benj Edwards – “Baked at Atari” song – http://www.techsongs.com/index.php/2016/06/23/baked-at-atari/ https://soundcloud.com/benjedwards/baked-at-atari#t=0:00
- Upcoming Shows:
- Atari Invasion – Feb. 18, 2017 – Marsveen, Holland – http://atari-invasion.nl/
- VCF East – March 31 through April 2, 2017 – Wall, NJ – http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/vintage-computer-festival-east/
- VCF Southeast 4.0 – April 2 & 3, 2017, Roswell, GA – http://vcfse.org/
- Tandy Assembly – October 6-8 – Chillocothe, OH – http://www.tandyassembly.com/ https://www.facebook.com/events/671911082972172/
- CoCoFest – April 22 & 23, 2017 – Lombard, IL – http://www.glensideccc.com/cocofest/index.shtml
- KansasFest – July 18-23, 2017 – Kansas City, MO – http://www.kansasfest.org
New at Archive.org
- Mark Reid — Getaway! archives and development documents
- JOY-2-PIC Joystick to Microchip PIC MCU ICSP Programmer at Ataribits – http://ataribits.weebly.com/joy2pic.html
- Mathy van Nisselroy home page – http://www.mathyvannisselroy.nl/index.htm
- AtariLand – http://atariland.org/ – Rick Matias
Nir Dary Segment – Memory Upgrades
- Memory upgrade tech info – http://home.arcor.de/walter.lojek/MyATARIHomepage/old_hp/MemUp/MemUp.HTM
- Memory upgrades banking scheme – http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-kinds-of-extra-ram-and-ramdisks-can-be-installed_73.html
- Software that support more than 64k ram – http://www.atarimania.com/faq-atari-400-800-xl-xe-what-programs-support-more-than-64k-ram_74.html
- Best Electronics 256k Memory upgrade kit – http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/800xl.htm#Wizz
- B&C ComputerVisions Memory upgrade – http://www.myatari.com/atarixlh.txt
- Lotharek Ultimate 1mb – http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=67
- Ctirad 576XE external memory upgrade – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/232856-ram320xe576-order-thread/?hl=%20ctirad and https://
- Antonia 4MB memory upgrade – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/249405-new-4mb-ram-expansion/?hl=%20antonia and https://
- How to install ATARI 400 Upgrade to 48k from 16k – https://
- 1MB Simm ram expansion – http://satantronic.atari.sk/?str=xe_1mbram
- Hiassoft 512k SRAM upgrade – http://www.horus.com/~hias/atari/#sram512k
- Byte Magazine Article on 256k memory upgrade – http://atariage.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_id=362652
Steve Gerber, VP of International New Product Development
Steve Gerber was head of the Atari Software Acquisition Program. In October 1981, Atari opened its first Regional Software Acquisition Center, managed by Steve, in a 4,000 square-foot location that also housed the Atari Program Exchange (APX). Later Steve was Atari’s VP of International New Product Development, in charge of software development for non-US markets.
This interview took place on January 17, 2017.
Teaser quote: “I had these guys that were in a barn that was built in 1100-something that had set it up to be their “office” somewhere in northern England, in the middle of nowhere. They had come up with a … baseball cap that you’d put on and you could move the cursor with your eyes.”