Before my ninja phase and my skateboarding phase came my breakdancing phase. On Episode 182 of You Don’t Know Flack I share my memories of breakdancing, including the first time I saw anyone do the moonwalk, seeing the Coca-Cola Breakdancers in person, and using a Sharpie to draw graffiti on my mom’s cardboard ironing board.
Source:: YDKF Episode 182: Breakdance
In this episode of ANTIC The Atari 8-bit Computer Podcast, Randy and Kevin spar over where the ANTIC corporate headquarters should be, Kevin steps out on the Atari 8 bit and makes us proud in the 10-liner BASIC contest, and Nir Dary brings us the scoop on Wopniak 2017. Plus all the Atari news we could find this month.
What we’ve been up to
- TI Fest West, F-18A Video Upgrade (FPGA Based TMS9918A) http://codehackcreate.com/archives/30
- E.R.I.C. cart – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/265316-eric-cart-electronic-retail-information-center/
- CLASSware Eductional Cart – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/252162-need-some-info-on-odd-atari-8-bit-cart-classware-eductional-cart/page-2?hl=%2Bclassware#entry3758134
- 2017 Atari 10-liner BASIC Contest entry video – “>https://
- VCFSE – http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/otherevents/vintage-computer-festival-southeast/
- Breakout: How Atari 8-Bit Computers Defined a Generation by Jamie Lendino – http://amzn.to/2pTOisT
- Tricky Tutorial tapes 1-6 – http://www.ebay.com/itm/322521330659
- Stan Ockers died
- 2016 ANTIC interview – ANTIC Interview 181 – Stan Ockers, public domain game programmer
- Stan’s articles in ANTIC Magazine – http://www.atarimagazines.com/index/index.php?author=Stan+Ockers&mag=antic
- More ET cartridge dump news – http://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-27187582/ataris-et-video-games-dumped-in-desert-out-of-shame
- WiFi232 – An Internet Hayes Modem for your Retro Computer , $48 assembled http://biosrhythm.com/?page_id=1453
- Casino Games: From Atari computers to video poker expert – http://www.gamingtoday.com/casino_games/article/67651-From_Atari_computers_to_video_poker_expert h
- Stack Exchange article on the Atari 800 – https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/2811/why-did-the-atari-800-designers-choose-such-a-radical-system-design
- Another Stack Exchange article on the Atari 8-bit – https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/1683/why-did-the-atari-8-bit-computers-make-beeping-noises-while-accessing-the-disk-a
- ABBUC contest for new Hardware development on the Atari 8-bit machines – http://www.vintageisthenewold.com/abbuc-contest-will-give-prizes-for-new-hardware-development-on-the-atari-8-bit-machines/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
- ABBUC hardware contest home page – http://www.abbuc.de/atari/hardware-ressort
- ‘Blade Runner 2049’ trailer features big Atari logo – http://us.blastingnews.com/showbiz-tv/2017/05/blade-runner-2049-trailer-features-big-atari-logo-001684967.html
- Atari 1088XEL article in Hackaday – https://hackaday.com/tag/atari-8-bit/
- Atari 1088XEL discussion on AtariAge – http://atariage.com/forums/topic/261147-1088xel-alternative-mother-board-project/
- YouTube videos this month (not Nir Dary):
- Rapidus 800XL part 2: socket replacement and RGB socket installation (FlashJazzCat) – https://
- VCF SE 5.0 Special: Joe Decuir – The Formative Years of Amiga Computing & More (Remotely-Interested who is Adam Spring) – Viva Amiga Panel for VCFSE 5.0 – https://
- Time Pilot for Atari 8-bit computers (Atariteca) – Gameplay of Time Pilot, port of the original game by Konami (1982), for Atari 8-bit computers. First place of Wapniak 2017 (Poland). – https://
- Atari games from -=WAPNIAK 2017=- (zzielins) – https://
- ATARI 1700XLM Custom Built Computer Case (ScottyAnimation) – https:// – Modern computer in 80s style retro case
- Nir Dary videos this month
- Demo of Streaming video on a real ATARI 8BIT Computer – https://
- Stream Video on Atari 8bit computer original recorded video – https://
- Demo of streaming video on an Atari 8bit computer through the Cartridge port – https://
- Streaming Atari ad on a real Atari 8bit Computer – https://
- Atari XL/XE Turbo Freezer 2016 Demonstration – https://
- Wapniak 2017 party – https://
- A good cover of a song from the Matrix soundtrack – https://soundcloud.com/makarybrauner/clubbed-to-death
- Upcoming Shows where you might see Atari computers
- OUTLINE Demo Party – May 25th to May 28th – in Holland – http://outlinedemoparty.nl/
- Sommarhack 2017 – JULY 7-9 – Home, SOMMARHACK 2017 – http://dhs.nu/sommarhack/2017/
- Kansasfest July 18-23 https://www.kansasfest.org
- VCF West – August 5-6, 2017 – Computer History Museum, 1401 N. Shoreline Blvd., Mountain View, California – http://vcfed.org/wp/festivals/vintage-computer-festival-west-xi/
- Ajka Hungary, Arok party – Aug 11-13, 2017 – https://www.facebook.com/ArokParty/
- Fujiama 2017 Aug 17-20, 2017 – http://www.abbuc.de/news-feeds-component/events/icalrepeat.detail/2017/08/17/215/-/fujiama-2017
- VCFMW – Sept. 9-10, Elk Grove Village, IL – http://vcfmw.org/
- PRGE http://www.retrogamingexpo.com Oct 20-22
- OldComp Party #3 – Sep 8-10, 2017 – (Czech Republic)
- ByteFest 2017 Oct 13-15, 2017 – http://www.bytefest.org/english-info2/
New at Archive.org
Nir Dary Segment – Wapniak 2017
Possible side effects of listening to the Antic podcast include stuffy nose, sneezing, sore throat; drowsiness, dizziness, feeling nervous; mild nausea, upset stomach, constipation;
increased appetite, weight changes; insomnia, decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm; dry mouth, intense hate of Commodore, and Amiga lust. Certain conditions apply. Offer good for those with approved credit. Member FDIC. An equal housing lender.
Source:: ANTIC Episode 43 – Corporate Wars
Strange Brew! What has kept the Odyssey2 alive into the 21st century? Not me talking about it, that’s for sure – it’s the homebrew programmers and their sometimes brilliant, sometimes frustrating additions to the Odyssey2 and Videopac libraries. This month’s show examines a cross-section of homebrew titles, from the very first to the fairly recent. (35:55)
Links from this episode:
- Aaron the Aant! via 2600connection.com
- Play Amok! on the Odyssey2 Multicart via PackratVG.com
- Kill The Attacking Aliens via PackratVG.com
- Wildlife! via 2600connection.com
- John Reder’s Handy Pick Hank!
- John Reder’s UFO!
- Don’t Give This Tape To Earl (also available on iTunes)
- Select Game merch at Redbubble!
- theLogBook.com Patreon
- The all-new theLogBook.com Forums
- theLogBook.com’s Facebook page (talk to us)
- Chiptune cover songs by Kasatochi (free downloads, including the Select Game Season One soundtrack)
- theLogBook.com Store (get my latest book, WARP!1!)
Read the full interview with Bob Harris here. (Special thanks to Cav at Classic Gamer Magazine)
Source:: 204: Amok Downtime!
Next Week: BC Kid!
Play ball! This episode looks at Pete Rose Baseball by Absolute Entertainment, a late entry in the 2600 library. How does it measure up to Home Run? Listen and find out! I apologize for the sound issues I was having within the episode. Next up will be Buck Rogers Planet of ZOOOOOOOOMMMMM by Sega. If you have any feedback for this or any game I’ve covered, I would love to hear it! Send your text or audio submissions to email@example.com. Thank you for listening.
Mediagenic article by Jimmy Maher/The Digital Antiquarian
Digital Press review of Pete Rose Baseball
Swear Gamer 190 – Pete Rose Baseball
Ballblazer’s collection thread on Atari.io
Tim’s Atari inspired music on Bandcamp
Stone Age Gamer 150 – If Mountain Dew Was A Sound
Colecovisions Podcast 29 – Miner 2049er and Quest For The Golden Chalice
Atari Bytes – Swordquest Earthworld with Chad Bowers and Chris Sims
Swordquest #0 (not sure if it’s still free)
Check out Jose’s awesome spreadsheet for the list of games I’ve already done, with links to the episodes! Thank you Jose!
Proud member of the Throwback Network!
Proud member of the Retro Junkies Network!
Google + page
My YouTube channel, for whatever reason
WHAT A FORUM TOO
Listen to the show on Stitcher!
Subscribe to the show on iTunes, and leave a review! Reviews are nice!
Listen to the show on Tune In!
Please check out my other shows:
Please Stand By!
The League of Extraordinary Podcasters
Hey kids! Thanks for stopping by. We have a super fun show ahead of us this week. We start off with a long meandering discussion about how sick I feel and how bad I also feel for missing a big wrestling show. I’m dumb but don’t worry, I feel better now.
Then we move onto what is essentially The Main Event of the show, a double-Hunnam! It was a week were I saw two Charlie Hunnam movies in a row! One was called The Lost City Of Z and the other one was a flick known as King Arthur! I dug it and I’ll tell you why.
Then during the final segment of the show we go on about some TV Shows, a movie that returns us to the Big Lebowski Universe and a bunch of other stuff. I wasn’t feeling great and sort of just rambled on and on.. It was sort of fun, I guess.
Make sure to hop on over to Support The Report and check out how you can get the ISR Supertape VHS Tape! While helping to support the show. Man, we need all the help that we can get.
Also hop on over to VirtualDirtmall.com The ISR Superstore and take care of some of your Retro Junk Shopping needs while also supporting The Toys R Us Report.
CCCM is happy to be a part of
Source:: CCCM – Habitat
The Xenomorphs are back and with a vengeance. Join Carlos and Kyle today on GeekFest Rants as they dissect the latest entry into the Alien franchise, Alien: Covenant. We’ll find out how these new batch of Red Shirts; ….I mean colonists fare against our creepy crawlers. We’ll see what happened to Shaw and our favorite daddy issues android, David. Also, I’ll take a look at the new Blade Runner 2049 trailer. How awesome is it? Plenty. The look, the sounds, the characters seem to all be there. The question now is how will the story be? Remember ”More human than human” is our motto.
In this episode we are joined by Ferg from the 2600 Game by Game podcast to talk about Miner2049er and a great homebrew game Quest for the Golden Chalice!